Updated: Oct 6
As the leaves change colors and the air turns crisp, it's time to transition our homes into cozy havens that reflect the warmth and beauty of the fall season. I know the fall is one of my favorite times of the year. I love to entertain and always have. From my first apartment in Boston to today. I always like to think about how to make the table I had special. Whether I was using a makeshift dining table or now I loved to think about how I would improve it from last year or just mix it up.
One of my favorite Thanksgiving was after my husband and I moved into our first home. I surprised my mother by using all the depression glass she had given me. She and my grandmother used to get a dish every time they went to the movies. Can you even imagine that today? It was a treasured memory for her and became a wonderful story for my holiday table. I have added to the set over the years to make the set larger and more interesting. I use these plates for Thanksgiving every year. Makes me very happy to think about my mother and grandmother using them and passing them down.
Here are some ideas you can use to get the ideas flowing about how you can update your table setting. Whether you're hosting a Thanksgiving feast or simply want to create an inviting space for family meals, I've put together some ideas from Pinterest that will inspire you.
Fall is all about nature's beauty, so bring the outdoors in with natural elements. Consider starting with a rustic wooden table as your canvas. Then, adorn it with seasonal accents like pinecones, acorns, and small branches. You can also use a burlap or linen table runner as a base for your arrangement, adding a touch of texture to the scene.
Warm Color Palette
Embrace the warm and inviting colors of fall by choosing a color palette that reflects the season. Rich tones like deep reds, burnt oranges, golden yellows, and earthy browns are perfect choices for your table linens, placemats, and napkins. These colors will create a cozy atmosphere that's perfect for fall gatherings.
Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice
No fall table decor is complete without pumpkins! Incorporate various sizes and colors of pumpkins as centerpieces or scattered along the table. You can also consider painting or decorating them to match your theme. Miniature pumpkins make great place cardholders when you attach a name tag to them.
Candles and Candleholders
Candlelight adds warmth and ambiance to any dining experience. Choose candleholders and candles in autumnal hues such as copper, gold, or deep red. You can arrange them in clusters down the center of the table or use individual votives at each place setting. Be sure to opt for scents that evoke the season, like cinnamon or apple pie.
Fall offers a bounty of beautiful blooms and foliage. Create stunning floral arrangements by using sunflowers, dahlias, chrysanthemums, and fall leaves as your main elements. Place these arrangements in rustic vases or mason jars for a charming touch. You can even add some wheat or dried cornstalks for extra texture.
A Step Further
Certainly, taking your fall decor a step further by making some additional decor changes can elevate your dining room's seasonal transformation. Here are some ideas to consider:
1. New Dining Chairs: Investing in new dining chairs or giving your existing ones a makeover can breathe new life into your dining space. Consider chairs with upholstery in fall-inspired colors or patterns, such as plaid or paisley. Alternatively, you can opt for chairs with wooden frames that match the rustic feel of the season. Mixing and matching different chair styles and colors can add an eclectic and cozy vibe to your dining room.
2. Wall Art: Updating your dining room's wall art is a fantastic way to tie in your fall theme. Look for artwork that features autumn landscapes, foliage, or still-life compositions with pumpkins and gourds. Alternatively, you can create DIY wall art using pressed leaves or framed fall-themed prints. Don't forget to swap out any existing wall decor with mirrors to reflect the warmth and vibrancy of your fall table settings.
3. Curtains or Drapes: Changing your curtains or drapes can have a significant impact on your dining room's overall look. Consider selecting window treatments in rich, warm tones that complement your fall color palette. Fabrics like velvet or heavy linen can add a sense of luxury and coziness. You can also opt for curtains with subtle fall-themed patterns, such as leaf motifs or plaid.
4. Seasonal Rugs: A cozy rug under your dining table can tie the room together while adding warmth and comfort. Choose a rug in autumnal colors or patterns, such as a deep red or brown with leafy designs. A plush rug can also provide a soft landing for your feet and create a more inviting dining area.
5. Seasonal Tableware and Decorative Accents: To complete the look, consider adding seasonal tableware and decorative accents throughout the room. This could include fall-themed table runners, chair cushions with autumn patterns, or even decorative wreaths hung on the walls. The key is to infuse your dining room with elements that evoke the spirit of fall.
Whether you choose to make big or small updates, any changes you make will be sure to create a welcoming and festive atmosphere that celebrates the beauty of the season. Whether you're hosting a large family gathering or enjoying a cozy meal for two, these decor tips will help you set the stage for memorable moments and cherished traditions. So, embrace the season, gather your loved ones, and enjoy the warmth and beauty of fall right at your dining table.